Grouchy's Grumbles

Don't say I didn't warn you...I'm MOODY. Buckle up, the right may be bumpy today. o;)

Friday, August 12, 2005

Urban Sand??


According to Wikipedia:
An urban beach, or urbeach, is a place in the downtown core of a city that has a water feature that people can use to cool off in on hot days. However, unlike a waterpark where people go specifically to splash around, an urban beach is a multi-use space, where informal waterplay activities intermix with more formal civic culture, such as business executives reading their newspapers, etc.. An urban beach is a playful place in the inner city where people can wear beach attire and splash around without being in violation of the laws and standards of appropriateness that otherwise exist within the formal downtown setting.

---
Maybe i'm a weirdo, but I'd go sit outside on the Urban Sand... LOL. I think this is such a cool idea. It would be fun to pretend... until I could get back to the real thing. ;)


Check out the full story here: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2005-07-03-paris-beaches_x.htm

9 Comments:

  • At August 12, 2005 3:41 PM, Blogger CubanDiva said…

    I might do the sand if it looked cleaner. That sand looks "bused in"! LMAO

     
  • At August 12, 2005 9:12 PM, Blogger Karla said…

    LOL...i never thought of it that way. We need an Urban Beach in Denver...hmmm

     
  • At August 12, 2005 9:17 PM, Blogger The Grouchy One said…

    Cubandiva: it is BUSED in! LOL. I'd sit in my lounge chair in it... no one said anything about directly sitting in it. LOL

    Karla:
    I know! We'll have to petition next year. LOL

     
  • At August 13, 2005 10:46 PM, Blogger Inside Man said…

    Atleast there is no sharks....

     
  • At August 16, 2005 1:31 PM, Blogger Joanne said…

    You know how I feel about beaches... although my least favorite part about the beach is the sand. So, unless there's at least the fake water sound machine or something, I don't know if I'd like it.... but interesting idea.

     
  • At August 18, 2005 5:05 PM, Blogger CubanDiva said…

    I am with you Joanne...I need some water sounds with it. lol

     
  • At August 19, 2005 1:58 AM, Blogger The Grouchy One said…

    KG:
    Yup.. and an overactive imagination like mine can create whatever else I need. LOL. Thanks for stopping by.

    Dasshar: Thank you! I'll make sure to visit you too ;)

     
  • At August 20, 2005 7:55 PM, Blogger ManNMotion said…

    Hey, this was pretty cool. We have Centennial Park in Atlanta. There's a big water fountain that kids play in, people eat lunch there, and in the summer they have concerts. There's an ice rink, etc etc...but no sand. If there is no sand, can it still be an Urban Beach, or is it just an "oasis?"

     
  • At August 30, 2005 10:06 AM, Blogger The Grouchy One said…

    ManNMotion: Thanks for stopping by! ;)

    LaLoca: I agree, re: the REAL ocean. There is NOTHING else like it. It is (by far) one of my favorite natural wonders ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home